This board game will allow students to explore more about the different career pathways within the Allied Health field.
NB Curriculum Outcomes
Personal Wellness 3-5
Strand: Career Connected Learning
- Big Idea: Exploring Potential Career Pathways
- Skill Descriptor: Critically investigate and describe the labor market and preferred career pathways.
- Big Idea: Thinking about Potential Career Pathways
- Skill Descriptor: Demonstrate an informed vision for the future linked to own interests, preferences, values, and abilities.
NB Global Competencies
What You’ll Need
- A few small figures or counters in different colors
- Printable board game (included)
- Allied Health Activity Power Point
- Board game rules and answer key (included)
- Allied Health definition sheet (included)
- 1 dice per group
- Ask students: “Who works in a hospital?” Allow students a few minutes to discuss with each other and then share their responses with the class.
- Ask students about the term Allied Health and what they think it is.
- Together, view the Allied Health PowerPoint highlighting the various Allied Health workers in our New Brunswick healthcare system.
- Read over the rules of the board game together and put students into groups of 2-4 or do as a whole class via Smart Board. Then, it is GAME TIME!
- As a reflection, allow students to share something new that they learned by viewing the presentation and/or playing the Allied Health board game.
Use these questions to guide a discussion around Allied Health Careers in New Brunswick:
- Beside hospitals in New Brunswick, where else do allied health professionals work?
- What would be the consequences if there was a worker shortage in one or all these locations?
- What skills do you think would be important to become a successful allied health professional?