Personal Support Worker’s (PSW’s) are part of our medical support community. PSW’s work under the direction/supervision of Registered Nurse’s (RN’s) or Licensed Practical Nurse’s (LPN’s) to provide care, comfort, education and support to people in our communities. Scope of practice ranges from personal care, medication assistance, client education and rehabilitation support – to name a few! PSW’s work as a team with other health care providers and are in high demand throughout Canada. Workplace environments include, but are not limited to, working in Home Care, Nursing Homes, Long Term Care Facilities, Hospitals and Clinics.
PSW’s are vital to the intimate nursing and personal care of so many people and take comfort knowing they have job security and options.
ACAHS has a blended PSW program that delivers online theory with in-person practicums offered in the students’ community. Students are invited to take a Test Drive of the PSW program to get a sense of what online studying is like with ACAHS.
What you will need:
Computer device, internet access, pen and paper.
- Go to the website: ACAHS.ca.
- Click on the “TAKE YOUR FREE TEST DRIVE” title in the brown box to the right of the screen. This will bring you to a pop-up.
- Click on the http://acahs.ethink.com link at the bottom of the pop-up. This will bring you into the Moodle platform.
- Your user name is: access and your password is: 123.Acahs (don’t forget the period and that the letters are case sensitive). This will bring you into the Moodle Classroom to the section on “Preventing Infection”.
- Click on the “PSW4005: Preventing Infection. MANDATORY – 1 Credit” link that will have a black paperclip to the left of the PSW4005 title. This will bring you to your Elsevier Bookshelf. Your email is : email@example.com and your password is: Acahs – Again, don’t forget the period and to use capital or small letters where indicated. This will bring you to Chapter 23 on “Preventing Infection”.
- After you study this chapter go back to the Moodle Classroom to take the exam for that section. To go back to the classroom, look for the tab at the top of your page that shows a little orange “m” beside the word “Course”. The exam link is just below the section objectives with a little green cloud icon with an arrow in it. Click on this and it will take you to “Chapter 23 Test Bank”. Click “Begin Quiz” and see how you do.
- Go back to the Moodle classroom (tab at top of page with little orange “m”) and try one of the virtual labs. This is at the bottom of the page beside the little green cloud icon with an arrow in the middle titled “LB1001: HAND HYGIENE LAB. MANDATORY – 1 Credit”. Click here and this will take you to the lab.
- You will see a number of titles starting at the top left-hand side of this page (ie. Quick Sheet, Supplies, Videos, Illustrations, Test, Checklist). Click on “Videos” and this will open the simulated lab for you.
ACAHS offers students the choice to have an electronic textbook or a physical textbook. If the student selected a physical book, there are no electronic links to the book. There would still be electronic links to the virtual labs.
Thank you for taking the time to take a peek at our program. Should you have any questions or issues, please email us at: ACAHS.firstname.lastname@example.org.